DAL Agricultural Services was founded in 1984, and emerged out of the initial involvement of SUTRAC in agricultural equipment distribution and support, which began 20 years prior. By 1990, the company was ploughing over 1 million acres annually, and grew to become the largest of its kind in the entire Africa and Middle East region.
DAL Agricultural Services was the first company to introduce high capacity low ground pressure tillage machinery in Sudan. This new equipment was perfectly tailored for Sudanese fields and soil.
Later, when the shift in national focus from agriculture to oil caused a decline in the farming industry. DAL Agricultural Services began to accept payment-in-kind from many customers, and from this, the business of trading local crops such as sorghum was developed.
The available farming infrastructure and steadily declining customer base prompted DAL Group to consider creating more farming inputs by starting its own farming venture, and in 2006 a large, modern dairy farm was established in Ailafoun. The new operation required a supply of appropriate fodder, so the establishment of alfalfa plantations was the next priority; by 2010, a new farm, Al Waha, was established to focus on crop farming. This, along with the introduction of advanced pivot irrigation methods, has led to today’s output of over 80 million tonnes of top-grade, sun ripened fodder, which supplies not only the company’s needs, but also neighbouring farms and export markets.
Building For The Future
One of the objectives of establishing DAL Agriculture within DAL Food was to build a highly capable workforce to allow for efficient, large scale, high quality and cost effective farming. A number of technical and managerial competencies were acquired to this end, including:
- Agronomy as a key skill
- Centre pivot irrigation specialists to install, operate, maintain and service the system
- Farm utility engineers to build and maintain canals, roads, yards and various facilities
- Electrical engineers to run and maintain main irrigation pumps and accessories.
- Mechanical agricultural engineers, technicians and operators to run various agricultural equipment
- Farm accounting and supply chain specialists.
DAL Agriculture now employs the best specialists in the country to cover the above skillsets, , and has created many job opportunities Sudanese living near and around its farms, thus continuing DAL’s commitment to build and sustain the communities that support it.
Our Business Today
DAL Food now boasts a dairy farm with 5500 high-yielding Freisian-Holstein dairy cows, with a plan to reach 10,000. In addition to this, the company also produces alfalfa, corn (for animal feed), local wheat (for pasta) and are in the process of testing a number of other crops for future diversification.
- 127 centre pivots are currently in operation.
- DAL Food manages total area of
- 10000 hectares within Khartoum
- 35,000 hectares in River Nile State, with more room for expansion
- 55,000 hectares in the Northern State
- 200 hectares in Kassala for fruit production
- DAL Agriculture currently employs 550 people
- Total production per annum:
- 100,000 tonnes of green fodder (alfalfa and Rhodes grass)
- 15,000 tonnes of corn
- 7,500 tonnes of wheat
DAL Food is also engaged in developing its business by:
- Building a QA/QC system
- Connecting farms to the main national electrical grid to replace the use of diesel generators
- Installing soil moisture sensors to fine-tune irrigation practices.
- Erecting a grass line compound within Al Waha to process fodder for the feed factory and export.